Good Afternoon! It’s a balmy 18 degrees here in not-so-sunny Buffalo today! And, we have a decent amount of snow.
Orlando Forecast: Sunny with a high of 73 today!
Daily Disney Quote:” So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land”. – Peter Pan
Daily Disney Song:
Peter Pan comes to DVD and Blue Ray this Tuesday, February 5th!
A favorite Disney World Recipe:
These yummy treats are rich, creamy, sinful, and highly addictive! They can be found at Animal Kingdom Lodge at Boma, and in the Mara. In the Mara, AKL’s quick service eatery, they can be found in the convenience section in little take out containers. You get 5 in a package for $3.50, and they can be purchased with a Dining Plan snack credit.
Zebra Coffee Domes
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 16 servings
1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (1/4″ thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
Note: One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.
Special Events Coming to Disney World:
February 20th marks the start of Atlanta Braves Spring Training at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex! The Yankees will be playing there on February 23rd, but sadly we will not have time to see them. 😦
February 24th is the annual Princess Half Marathon. My good friend and fellow MouseQuest Podcast member Dawn Gosdin will be running it! I will be there to cheer her on!
And March 6th marks the beginning of the annual Epcot Flower & Garden Festival. We have been there many, many times, and it never disappoints!
Today, I want to talk about…Some tips and tricks for your stay at a Disney Resorts Hotel…
Tips for the Resort Hotel:
- If you bring a blank white pillowcase and a sharpie (any color) with you, you can take it to the concierge desk at the hotel lobby and they will return it before you go home, with autographs from MANY Disney characters! It always includes Mickey and Minnie!
- There is free wi-fi at the resorts. We like to bring our Nook to check stuff, and so Matthew can play Angry Birds while we are getting ready.
- Try to eat breakfast at the food court either before 8, or after 9.
- There is a button on your phone to have Mickey give you a wake up call. Kids get a big kick out of that.
- Tip your Mousekeeper daily, as you won’t always get the same one each day, and when you do it daily, they go that extra mile to make your stay more enjoyable. They usually take the kids toys and stuffed animals and arrange them, sometimes put your sunglasses on them. They will leave towel animals, little displays in your window. They also tend to do things like put a wash cloth under your hand soap, put your toothbrushes in a nice clean display, things like that. I try to leave the tip either at the sink or the night table, and under the little greeting card with their name on it. We usually leave $1-$2 per person, per day.
- They will not touch any money you leave out unless it is designated for them. We have left cell phones, jewelry, laptops, money out and it has never been touched. There is a small wall safe with a key. And, you can always leave a laptop in one of your clothing drawers. But I have never heard anyone say that anything has gone missing.
- When you check in, let them know if it’s your first visit, Anniversary, birthday, and they will give you buttons to wear. Usually they will give you little things in the room too. When you book dining reservations, they will ask if you are celebrating anything special, let them know. They will have a character, or waiter depending which restaurant, they will bring a cupcake and sing. And, they usually put sparkly Mickey confetti on the table too. (I like to save the confetti to use in my scrapbook at home!)
- Put your address label on your cell phone, laptop, camera, etc. if you misplace it and a cast member finds it or someone turns it in, they will mail it home to you!
- I never use the coverlet on the bed! (germs) But if you call when you get there and ask for clean ones, they will bring you coverlets that are freshly laundered.
- If you have pillows that you know you can’t sleep without, pack them. It will make a huge difference!
- If a little one loses a tooth while you are there, you can create a visit from the “Tink Fairy”! Maybe get a Disney Gift card or Disney Dollars from the gift shop, you can get confetti to leave a trail from the door, a post card from Tinkerbell. Maybe a Tinkerbell trading pin, or a small souvenir that they have been asking for.
I hope all of my advice will help you make the most of your stay at Disney World! Have a magical day!